Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Moon, I Already Know and We Squirm and Lost Wisdom and Goodbye Hope

Let me lay it down real smooth for ya:

I hate college. The school part of it. Do I fit a stereotype? Not the one you're thinking of. I do not dislike school because it requires work and dedication and time. I have those things and I am completely willing to give those things to earn a decent education. however,  WTF is my money going to? My art history professor has a degree in fashion design. She got her teaching certificate and graduated from DAAp which is apparently enough to let her teach an art history class. Sense? None. Her knowledge of ancient Etruscan art? Less than mine. I don't expect her to know everything, just more than me. It's frustrating! Plain an simple! 

My other course is Methods & Concepts in which my professor is a crazy perfectionist who only gives a certain amount of A's each quarter, meaning 3. I can already tell you now I am not one of her A students this quarter. I will most likely be a B. I can't stand this because she constantly claims that nothing an artist can ever do will be good enough. I'm not kidding. She has said this, on numerous occasions, "Your final should never be final. You can always make it better. You have to recognize that it is never good enough so you are always hungry for being better." I do SEE exactly where she is coming from but sometimes I want to be proud of my work. I want to stand back and admire the things I have done. She also has a tendency to contradict herself by instructing us to always exceed the lines of the box but anytime I have done this or witnessed another student doing this she seems very close-minded. I realized that she wants us to exceed the lines of HER box and she has trouble accepting the boxes of others.

Finally, there is design class. I have spent so much time on the most worthless projects I can't even express how awful it feels. First, I designed a whisk on illustrator. Next, I designed a praying mantis on illustrator. Now, I am working making a collage that creates a sort of self-portrait...on illustrator. Well, first and foremost, I am SICK of illustrator. I can use the goddamned pen tool! And, what's worse, I really did not need a paid "professional" to "show" me how. It is pretty self explanatory. Pick up a book and teach yourself. I can assure it isn't difficult at all. Everyone treats this class like a joke because it is. I have trouble working hard in classes I don't respect. It's as if...the easier the class is the worse I do. I would not be surprised if I get a C or D in this class and I have not received a grade like that since freshmen year of high school when I was an angsty punk (yuck).

I hate art school. I can't believe it. But I hate it. All i want to do is finish up this degree and GTFO. I pretty much know what I want to do from here and college sure as hell isn't helping me with it. I sigh because I feel like I can do nothing else. I sigh and I sigh and I know what is coming.

No comments: