Sunday, November 1, 2009

Her Freezings and Thawings

I brainstormed my favorite artists the other day with my grandmother. I had to condense it to 25 otherwise it would grow too long to be a respectable list. Here they are:

Yoshitomo Nara: fantastic painting AND sculpture
Chuck Close: a concept of color very few could ever comprehend
Cy Twombly: layers and emotion and the monumental size of the work, this man makes me wonder why one would ever work small.
David Hockney: surrealism doesn't get much better
Jean-Michel Basquiat: and his first art teacher said he'd never amount to anything...
Marc Chagall: goats and roosters, that's all I've gotta say.
Edward Gorey: the gashlycrumb tinies, the doubtful guest, and Old possum's book of practical cats? Read me a bedtime story and make it Gorey!
Rene Engstrom: best webcomic out there, for story and artwork the old-fashion way-w/o a computer!
Henri Toulouse-Lautrec: always ambiguously beautiful
Lynda Barry: best damn graphic novels out there, impeccable collage work 
Miranda July: This lady does it all. direction, acting, music, archiving, performance art, screenwriting, and fiction writing. she's also in a badass Blonde Redhead video. And directed a badass Sleater-Kinney Video.
Travis Lampe: takes a collection of styles and makes his own goddamn style. and he's got the greatest sense of humor i've ever seen in an artist. Now that's class.
Gregory Crewdson-The most eerie, bone-chilling, goosebump-inducing photographs out there. This man treats his photos like a movie set, no kidding. The amount of work for ONE PHOTO is incredible.
Paul Klee: i'm addicted to color and shape juxtaposition. what can I say?
Wassily Kandinsky: this man knows his shapes.
Joan Miro: I don't have words for this one. My biggest inspiration for the type of work I do.
Saul Steinberg: he's not a cover illustrator for The New Yorker for nothing.
Gary Baseman: fantastically creepy.
Christo and Jeanne-Claude: nature and space and color and...oh my.
Satoshi Kon: i don't think any animator can top this guy. HE DRAWS IT ALL HIMSELF.
Hayao Miyasaki: this should be the new fucking disney/pixar.
Takashi Murukami: I simply wish I could live in this guy's head for a day. Does everyone look like an adorably colorful bear thing to him? Do flowers really grin in his world? Is that what an orgasm is like for him? If yes to all of the above, sign me up.
Robert Rauschenberg: collage work with transparency! Just too clever.
Vincent Van Gogh: detail was this crazy man's middle name. here's my favorite and it hangs in Cincinnati's own art museum!
Gustav Klimt: this hangs in my apartment and I'd get it tattooed to my body. nuff said.


No comments: