Wednesday, October 28, 2009

So Long Old Bean

Yesterday when I arrived home Lauren was being visited by her friend Ethan. Now, Ethan is a great guy. He is laid back, mildly funny, and intelligent. However, Ethan is also studying to be the bastard who splices the fuck out of natural foods to ensure "the end to world hunger" and miracle-cure-super-foods for disease and hunger-ridden countries. This is more or less how he presented his major to me. he even used the word 'organic.' OH, brother...

It took a great deal of energy to NOT beat him down with an ear of corn. Lucky for him I have no corn and I used all my potatoes for pumpkin/potato carving the other night. (no money for pumpkins? use your resources! they were starting to sprout growths anyway...) How do you politely tell someone they are part of increased risk of cancer/food allergies, mass monopolization, and a destroyer of all that is naturally good? You don't, basically.

Ironically, I just wrote an informative essay about the dangers of biotechnology and genetically engineered foods for English.

He could tell I was upset so proceeded justify it. Which was pointless because there is no way I'll ever change my mind about this one. I listened anyway. He told me that he has nothing to do with companies like Monsanto. All he would do is create the super foods and distribute them. What the company does with them is none of his concern. Although, it should be! He is only part of the problem. Perhaps these foods could work. Perhaps. But only if the companies had required disclaimers of potential lethal food allergies, were prohibited from patenting them as if they are machines, would actually use the food to serve third world countries rather than burn it for American fuel, etc. etc.

Oh, how infuriating. 
Please, people, try to buy as organically as possible. Buy locally. Buy in season. Don't eat so much meat. Don't drink soda. Steer away from fast food chains. Recycle.

Currently:
reading The Corporation by Joel Bakan
eating a chicken salad panini and an apple
listening to Devendra Banhart

No comments: