Saturday, October 24, 2009

Smelling Cigarettes or Rub-Alcohol Blues

I'm a copycat too. I think I'll just type the random thoughts that come to mind within the next hour while I work on my Digital Foundations project.

Currently:
In Rohs Street cafe with a bottomless mug of black coffee.
Reading Maus I.
Hanging out with Brittany tonight, hopefully coaxing her into going to Jake's for a glass of wine with Lauren and Henry.
Listening to Roxy Music; Flesh + Blood.

Goddamn Illustrator! Forbidden tools for no apparent reason. Always guessing. I want a tangible canvas and a paintbrush.

I've encountered quite a few friendly workers today. At Panera I told the cashier my name is Bernadette (the name of the small nappy dog that the neighbor living below us squeals about 73 times a day) and he just smirked and went along with it. 
At Urban Outfitters the cashier was a skinny hipster boy in big glasses and flannel who discussed the unfortunate swift change in temperature. I hate weather talk but for some reason he made it pleasant. Possibly because of his statement, "I went outside for a smoke break and realized how nippy it is which tripped me out a bit."
Here, at the coffee shop (the best in Clifton next to Brutopia) the barista just started chatting with me about my homework and how tedious it is to make shapes on a computer screen.
"It's tedious to pay such close attention to coffee beans too. i suppose you just require a passion for whatever tedious work you're doing."

I think I have the best seat in the coffee shop. Right next to a couple large windows looking out on an old building and the beautiful autumn sky. The clouds are moving fast. The table I'm using is embellished with some snazzy cartooning about how even superheroes need coffee.

and, of course, the praying mantis has the most complicated shapes I could have chosen for a design project. I thought I'd face my fears! I hate those creepy alien bugs.

I think the book exchange coffee shops set up are very cool. Bring in an old book in exchange for one on the shelf. I like the idea of becoming the owner of a book that has traveled far. Or the idea of someone holding a book that was once mine and wondering where it will end up.

The tree outside our apartment has been completely annihilated. There are construction workers bulldozing the area and flattening out a mound of mud where the tree stood before. We turned in a majestic tree for a pile of wet dirt. The neighbors and I guess it'll become a parking lot around the building. These are the instances when I can't stand cities.

Things in fashion I loathe right now:
graphic tees. (just what's being done with them. Ironic Jay-Z shirts and "go green" shirts with cute pandas and polar bears and seals on them when the girl sporting it probably doesn't know what a recycling bin looks like are beginning to upset me.)
hoodies. (i will ALWAYS hate hoodies.)
big glasses, especially fake ones.
peacock feathers. (this was cool at first. but it's overdone now.)
faux Native American anything.
neon.
cut-off sleeves. (stop it.)
cigarettes and PBR. (every hipsters got em! You should too!)

1 comment:

Katydid said...

I love praying mantises! They're so cute. And if you take PBR and cigarettes away from hipsters, they turn into zombies.